Saturday, August 2, 2008

A very special film

What is the best film I have ever seen? No doubt: Fellini's 8 1/2. Would I watch it every day? Probably not. Are there other films I love? Tens and tens of them. Would I watch any of them every day? Probably not ... except Fred Zinnemann's The Day of the Jackal (1973). This is a marvellous film I keep going back to, again and again. Whenever I want to watch something, but I can't decide what, when there is nothing that is appealing enough, I can always turn to The Day of the Jackal and watch it and enjoy it as it were for the first time. Roger Ebert ends his 4-star review of this film with this sentence:

"There are some words you hesitate to use in a review, because they sound so much like advertising copy, but in this case I can truthfully say that the movie is spellbinding."

He is absolutely right.

No comments: